DOUBLE PODIUM DELIGHT
TRIO OF TOP RESULTS FOR TURKINGTON AT SUNNY SNETTERTON
ROUNDS 7, 8, 9
- Colin Turkington celebrated a superb trio of results yesterday (Sunday 21st May) with a double podium and seventh place finish at a hot and sunny Snetterton circuit.
- Bringing his overall BTCC podium tally up to 178, Turkington played tyre strategy to his advantage, ensuring two big points results in the first two races.
- The experienced BTCC champ kept his cool throughout the hotly contested race day, and yet again showed class and wit despite not necessarily having the pace of those ahead.
- It was an impressive display from the 4-time Champ in Saturday’s qualifying that set up his super Sunday, securing third on the grid despite a scary yet unavoidable visit to the tyre wall early in the session.
- His points tally from race day was as consistent as ever from the Team BMW driver, and good enough to nudge him up the leader board once more.
- After collecting 4 podiums from the most recent 6 races, Colin now sits third in the championship standings, with 21 more thrilling encounters still to come!
HEAR FROM COLIN
Any weekend where you’re on the podium twice gives you a fair bit to celebrate, and I think we pretty much achieved the maximum possible to be scoring well on all three tyre compounds. A job well done!
We went soft-medium-hard on the tyre strategy and I’m sure we went the right way, even though the third one was very difficult. The thing is, when this element is added into race day, there’s always going to be a more challenging race, so that wasn’t a surprise.
Things could easily have gone differently after the qualifying incident so we can be grateful for what we achieved here this weekend.
We have some very good circuits coming up and as we get into the summer and the hotter temperatures that come with it, that should suit us and give us our big chance to attack. My style is more about collecting the points over a weekend and not necessarily risking too much on the sniff of a win. So with that in mind, we’re perfectly placed. ”
Race 1: P3
Race 2: P3
Race 3: P7
CHAMPIONSHIP POSITION: P3
DRIVING DYSLEXIA FORWARD
Colin showed his support over the weekend to a new initiative launched by young Lewis Turkington – ‘Driving Dyslexia Forward‘. Aiming to spread positivity to kids with Dyslexia, Lewis has embarked on a scheme to inspire other young people to work hard and believe in their dreams.
To find out more head to LEWISTURKINGTON.com
WATCH BACK THE ACTION
Watch back the drama on ITVX by clicking here!
Have a look through the Snetterton photos in the gallery below!
The BTCC heads to Thruxton for rounds 10, 11, 12 on Sunday 4th June.Back to news