TURKINGTON TASTES FIRST 2023 VICTORY
A CLASSY 64TH CAREER WIN FOR COLIN WITH BRILLIANT BRANDS HATCH FORM
BRANDS HATCH INDY
ROUNDS 4, 5, 6
- Team BMW’s Colin Turkington secured his 64th BTCC career victory yesterday in round 4 of the 2023 BTCC season.
- Showing superb form around the 1.2 mile Brands Hatch Indy circuit, Colin has now moved into second place in the series’ all-time winners list.
- The 4-time champ produced a stunning front-row performance in treacherous conditions during qualifying to set up his dominating race win on Sunday.
- A further podium and 5th place finish later in the day rounded off a fantastic point score and a typical ‘Turkington’ show of consistency.
- This 47-points haul has elevated him to fourth in the Drivers’ standings and leaves the BMW driver just 17 points off the top.
HEAR FROM COLIN
It was a really strong day. We haven’t had the fastest car, but we still scored really well with the BMW and winning is excellent. We’ve got good points in the bag. It’s so difficult to set expectations because it is so competitive. So all we can do is prepare well, keep working hard through the weekend and just grind it out.
We maximised the opportunity of starting on the front row in Race One by using the soft tyres when we had the most hybrid boost.
It probably looked simple to those sat at home but it was a real game of cat and mouse, trying to second guess the guys behind whilst feeling our way through what was really the first long run on that rubber.
There’s a big difference between the soft and medium tyre options and in Race Two Ash and Tom were able to capitalise while I had to wait for the grip to come to me on those mediums. I didn’t have the hybrid to really fight back and ultimately I have to be happy with picking up a podium.
I’ve benefitted a little bit from others misfortune in Race Three to finish where I did, but overall we were clever with strategy and we worked it well. That’s been the key.
It’s six finishes from six races and we go forward to Snetterton in a good place.
Race 1: P1
Race 2: P3
Race 3: P5
CHAMPIONSHIP POSITION: P4
WATCH BACK THE ACTION
Watch back the drama on ITVX by clicking here!
Have a look through the Brands Hatch photos in the gallery below!
The BTCC heads to Snetterton for rounds 7, 8, 9 on Sunday 21st May.Back to news