POINTS BUT NO PRIZES ON TOUGH WEEKEND FOR TURKINGTON
COLIN TURKINGTON ENDURED ANOTHER DIFFICULT RACE DAY AT CHAOTIC OULTON PARK
- It was another frustrating race day for Team BMW’s Colin Turkington at Oulton Park on Sunday 1st August.
- Turkington was fortunate to collect some championship points throughout the three races, but results were still shy of the podium.
- Any hopes for the weekend were ruined by contact on lap one that sent the 4 time champion to the back of the pack.
- It was a day marred by chaos on the track disrupting the races with red flags and complete race restarts.
- Colin now sits P9 in the standings, 37 points off the top of the leader board.
- Despite two challenging weekends in a row, Colin remains upbeat that the best is yet to come.
WHAT DID YOU MAKE OF THE RACE DAY COLIN?
To be honest, until I watch it all back it’s difficult to comment, but I can’t remember a race day with so many incidents and race restarts. I imagine that TOCA will have a long and hard look at how they deter these incidents and aim to improve the safety for everyone involved moving forwards. It was completely unnecessary contact in race one that ruined my weekend, and I have been punished for a lot less in the past.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON YOUR RESULTS?
Your mindset and goals have to change when you find yourself running at the back in race 1. It’s so difficult to come through and make progress these days, the pack is so fast and close. It takes a great deal of resilience to keep your motivation and positivity up during another frustrating weekend, but we did and I’m thankful I could pick up some points despite the chaos. You learn more on the difficult weekends than the brilliant ones and I’ve got the best group of people around me. We are more determined than ever to turn the tide and these tough times bring a good team closer together.
ARE YOU FULLY FOCUSSED ON KNOCKHILL NOW?
It’s all eyes on the next event now. That’s the only silver lining from Oulton Park, I go there lighter than I’ve ever done in the past. The championship has been blown wide open with the results from Oulton and I’ve got the bit firmly between my teeth to make my intentions clear. I devote my life to this series to be successful and to win. When you find yourself running at the back, your drive to set it straight goes into overdrive. The worst is behind us now, and I’ll be fighting hard to work my way back to the top.
OULTON PARK RESULTS
Qualifying – P9
Race 1 – P18
Race 2 – P12
Race 3 – P8
Knockhill – Saturday and Sunday 14th / 15th August.
Click here to see the team in action behind the scenes at Oulton Park.
WATCH IT BACK
Click here to watch back all the action from Sunday.Back to news