NEXT UP: SNETTERTON
THE CLOCKS GO BACK BUT COLIN LOOKS AHEAD TO THE NEXT 3 RACES
- Just 6 races remain in the 2020 BTCC season as Snetterton gets set to host the next 3 this weekend (24th / 25th October).
- The final two events will see a change to the timetable in order to accommodate the shorter daylight hours.
- Only one practice session will take place on Saturday and the race day schedule has been adjusted.
- The Snetterton event will also trial a different qualifying system, with the top 10 from Q1 going through to a second ten minute session.
- Colin Turkington is currently third in the standings, carrying 48kgs of success ballast and only 12 points off the top.
CATCH UP Q&A WITH COLIN
LOOKED LIKE YOU HAD A LOT OF FUN AT THE GOODWOOD EVENT COLIN. THE DRIVER LINEUP WAS SOMETHING ELSE! DID YOU FIND THIS A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE BETWEEN BTCC RACE WEEKENDS?
The Goodwood Speedweek was a brilliant experience from start to finish. Recently the Revival and Members Meeting have clashed with BTCC, so I’ve not competed at the circuit since 2017 but we didn’t have much car luck at that one. I was fortunate to be driving two amazing cars this time, a 1275 GT Mini in the Gerry Marshall Trophy and a Lotus Cortina in the St Marys Trophy. They were just as much fun as each other and I spent the whole weekend going sideways with a massive grin on my face!
It was a nice way to banish the demons of Croft.
THE BTCC IS NOW RUNNING MUCH LATER IN THE YEAR THAN EVER BEFORE. WE SEE A CHANGE TO THE SCHEDULE WITH ONLY ONE PRACTICE SESSION AND THE CONDENSED RACE DAY. WILL THIS HAVE AN IMPACT ON ANYTHING?
We’ve only got 1 x 50 minute practice session as opposed to 2 x 40 minute sessions, so there will be less opportunity to experiment with setups, so we need to be fast out of the blocks. But I expect the same names to be up at the front come qualifying. The BTCC teams do a lot of testing at Snetterton, so we have a good idea where to start, but we normally race here in July, not October!
THE TRIAL OF THE TWO STAGE QUALIFYING IS AN EXCITING ADDITION. IS THIS SOMETHING YOU ARE KEEN TO SEE ROLLED OUT?
I can answer that better once we see how it plays out… The BTCC are always innovating and trying new ideas to excite the fans, I think that’s a good thing.
I’ll be keen to see it rolled out if I’m in the final 10 to get through to Q2!
Normally at Snetterton we do something different, like using Soft, Medium and Hard compounds, or the Diamond Double race we did a few years ago. It’s fun to mix it up a bit!
FINALLY, IS THIS A CIRCUIT WHERE SUCCESS BALLAST HURTS MORE THAN THE OTHERS?
It can be difficult to carry the weight at Snetterton, I know that from recent years. The slow speed hairpins create a challenge with a heavy car, trying to get it stopped and then going again. I’m a bit lighter this time with 48kgs, so my quali lap needs to be perfect to get to the front.
Practice – 10:40am
Qualifying – 2:15pm
Race 1 – 10:37
Race 2 – 1:07pm
Race 3 – 3:54pm
WATCH QUALIFYING LIVE ONLINE
- All the action LIVE online
- Saturday 2:15pm
- The first qualifying session will last 25 minutes for all drivers.
- The top 10 of this session will go through to a second qualifying session.
- The drivers who do not make it through to the second qualifying session, will have their grid positions dictated by their best times in the first session.
- The second qualifying session will last 10 minutes and will decide the top 10 grid positions based on their best times in this second session.
RACES LIVE ON ITV4
- All the race day action LIVE
- Sunday from 10:05am
- Full coverage on ITV4
Stay social throughout the Snetterton weekend to send your support and see behind the scenes content and live videos.
WIN A ZOOM CALL FROM THE PADDOCK
Head to the TerraClean facebook page for your chance to win a race day zoom call with Colin, LIVE from the Snetterton paddock. Entries close Thursday AM.Back to news