HEARTACHE AT SILVERSTONE
TURKINGTON REMAINS IN CONTENTION BUT TITLE ATTACK TAKES A HIT
SILVERSTONE – SUNDAY 25TH SEPTEMBER
ROUNDS 25, 26, 27
- Colin Turkington endured a challenging race day at Silverstone yesterday, dropping him to 4th in the Championship battle.
- The Team BMW driver found himself pushed off the track early in the first race before further contact ended his efforts.
- Determined to recover, Turkington stormed from the back of the grid through to finish race 2 in 13th place despite having no hybrid deployment.
- With hybrid power again unavailable in the final race the four-time champ could only salvage a 12th place finish despite every effort from himself and his WSR team.
- Just 4 drivers will head to the season finale with a chance at the crown, Colin Turkington now 27 points off the top spot.
- Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit will host the Championship decider in less than two weeks time on Saturday 8th and Sunday the 9th October.
HEAR FROM COLIN
It’s difficult to put Silverstone into words, we just couldn’t get a break! The contact at the start of race 1 put me on the back foot, but then I had problem after problem which left me in a gun fight with a knife!
When you’re missing that extra power at a track like Silverstone, there’s just nothing you can do. It’s impossible to make the kind of progress I needed to in races 2 and 3.
We kept believing all day that we could turn it around, which I’m certain we could have done if my car had been trouble free.
It’s extremely frustrating for me and the team because there was nothing more we could have done. They gave me everything and we left with very little.
I think we are still feeling numb at this stage but we’ll lick our wounds, dust ourselves down and prepare for the finale. As we’ve just experienced, the impossible can happen and I’ll be going there with firm belief I have a chance.
The Team and I have worked too hard to give up on our chances and it’s by no means over.
Qualifying – P10
Race 1 – P27
Race 2 – P13
Race 3 – P12
Championship position – P4 – 318 points
WATCH BACK THE ACTION
Watch back the drama unfold on the ITV hub by clicking here!
THE SEASON FINALE
Next up is the BTCC season finale at Brands Hatch. Taking place around the Grand Prix circuit, the final three races will decide the 2022 BTCC champion.Back to news