CLASSIC ‘COLIN COMEBACK’ AT SILVERSTONE
TURKINGTON TURNS IT AROUND TO TAKE DOMINANT RACE 3 VICTORY AT A DRAMATIC SILVERSTONE
- Colin Turkington celebrated his 67th BTCC career victory yesterday (Sunday 24th September) in a dominant race 3 performance.
- The Team BMW driver produced a superb qualifying result on Saturday with a front row start, but unpredictable and changing weather on the grid for race 1, meant the 4-time champ ended up on the wrong tyre for the conditions.
- Despite a 26th place finish, tenacious Turkington got his head down and climbed 18 places in race 2!
- He went on to claim a stunning win in the final race of the day; a classic comeback from the cool and experienced driver.
- Although mathematically out of contention for the 2023 title, Turkington will go to Brands Hatch still aiming to finish his 19th BTCC season on a high.
HEAR FROM COLIN
I’m so pleased to reward everyone for sticking with it today after the disappointment of race 1. Seeing the happy faces in parc ferme made my weekend.
It was a tough start to the day because you put so much into the buildup and doing all the work in qualifying to get the front row, and it all falls away on lap 1. It was a difficult position to be in with the weather and ultimately we made the wrong call as the rain returned.
We’ve had a fair few of these sinking stomach moments this year, but it was important to dust myself down from there and attack the rest of the day. The results after that were a shot in the arm.
The car was the best its been in race 3, and I was able to stay in control of the race despite a rapid Tom Ingram in my mirrors. We’re mathematically out of the title fight now, but this isn’t a shock to me. I intend to push hard to the end and enjoy the finale!
Race 1: P26
Race 2: P8
Race 3: P1 + fastest lap
WATCH IT BACK
Follow the link below and watch back the exciting and unpredictable races from Silverstone.