A TURKINGTON CLASSIC
SENSATIONAL CHAMP PRODUCES MASTERCLASS COMEBACK TO WIN AT OULTON PARK
Rounds 13, 14, 15
- Colin Turkington produced a magnificent performance yesterday, (Sunday 18th June) to claim his 65th BTCC career win.
- Despite an exclusion on Saturday evening that forced him to start race 1 from the very back of the grid, the 4-time-champ went on to deliver three sensational drives ending with a stunning victory.
- It was a masterclass from start to finish from the Team BMW driver, who made 24 overtakes around the narrow Cheshire circuit, historically a difficult one to move forwards at.
- The 2023 Championship battle has now reached it’s half-way point before Croft marks a return to racing at the end of July.
- Colin was seen on ITV alongside his eldest son Lewis promoting his motorsport campaign ‘Driving Dyslexia Forward‘, a feature that has received warm appreciation from far and wide.
HEAR FROM COLIN
It’s been the most amazing day. I was a bit down in the dumps on Saturday night knowing I had to start right at the back in P27 – right in the dip at Oulton! I didn’t think we could make the progress we did, though. The reality exceeded my expectations. Oulton Park has been quite a good track for the BMW previously and although it can be tough to pass we played our cards right and in each race it kept getting better and better.
This victory means so much to me. I had to really graft for it, having started right at the back at the beginning of the day in the doldrums to the top step of the podium. It really means a lot.
Having three BMWs on the podium is fantastic. Jake was on my case, but I could see where we were strong and where we were not – so it was nice in the last few laps to stretch my legs at the front.
It was real standout weekend, with so many stars aligning. Having Lewis share the spotlight with me for ITV was very moving and I’m just as proud as you would expect.
It was great having both boys back in the paddock for the first time this season on Saturday, and I’d like to thank everyone for all the fantastic messages of congratulations to me and support for Lewis.
Qualifying: P7 (FOLLOWED BY EXCLUSION)
Race 1: P9
Race 2: P4
Race 3: P1
Championship position: P4
WATCH BACK THE RACES
Miss any of the action? Watch it back online via ITX – click here!
FATHER’S DAY SPECIAL
Lewis joined Colin for a special feature on ITV chatting about his motorsport dreams and dyslexia campaign. Watch back the feature!