LIGHTS! CAMERA! ACTION!
COLIN TURKINGTON AIMS TO SHINE IN THE SPOTLIGHT AS BTCC GOES LIVE ON ITV
BRANDS HATCH INDY – ROUNDS 4, 5 & 6
- The 2022 BTCC season returns to action this weekend (14th and 15th May) in the Kent sunshine around fans favourite – Brands Hatch Indy.
- The second event of the new Hybrid era will see the current drivers standings dictate the amount of Hybrid deployment the top 10 drivers will have in qualifying and race one.
- Colin Turkington is aiming for a strong showing following his pace and podium at the season opener.
- The Team BMW driver believes drivers will be more savvy with their hybrid deployment this time out, and that the ITV1 broadcast is a fantastic opportunity for the BTCC to shine under the mainstream spotlight.
- LIVE on ITV4 from 11am and LIVE on ITV from 2pm, there’s really no excuse to miss the nation’s favourite tin top series.
- With race 1 at 11:30am and race 3 at 4:15pm, there’s a bumper packed five hours of BTCC entertainment.
- Find out how you can win a BMW Motorsport cap and tickets to more BTCC race weekends.
- Scroll down to see who will have the most Hybrid power this weekend.
“Donington was a big step into the unknown and with no other series to learn from, I was slightly anxious if I would get the deployment of hybrid right. Testing is one thing, racing is another! I was definitely outside my comfort zone initially with so much to think about, but the extra strategy element was really cool.”
Deploying hybrid was like an extra weapon I had to bring to the battle. I used it successfully to attack and defend and, having found myself at the very back in race two, I was able to charge my way back up to P14.
“I’d say I got it right about 70% of the time during the races, but at this stage it’s about learning as we go and I know I’ll be more savvy with it this weekend at Brands Hatch. This is a fantastic opportunity for the BTCC to shine in the spotlight of the ITV1 coverage and I’m hopeful I can show the true potential of our BMW package. Through testing, qualifying and in racing conditions I’ve had super pace with the 330e, we just need a clean crack at the three races to unlock the points.
The schedule is so tight this Sunday with all three races within five hours, so it will be important to get our homework right and roll the car out in a good place without having to make any big changes in between the races.
“This is the start of a very busy seven weeks, so the aim is to find our stride and carry positive momentum through to the halfway point.”
Free practice: 9:30am
Free practice 2: 12:05pm
Race 1: 11:30am
Race 2: 2:10pm
Race 3: 4:15pm
LIVE ON ITV AND ITV4
Catch qualifying LIVE online from 3:45pm on Saturday by clicking here
Watch Sunday’s races and buildup LIVE on ITV4 from 11am and races 2 and 3 LIVE on ITV from 2pm.
NO MORE OPTION TYRES
Phew, one less thing to consider! With the introduction of the new Hybrid system, option tyres have been removed from the BTCC regulations. You will only see the Goodyear Medium tyres in action this season across all events excluding Thruxton, whereby the HARD compound will be used.
HEM IN ACTION
The hybrid energy management system (HEM) operates in two different ways. On a seconds-per-lap basis for qualifying and a number-of-laps basis for the races. Have a look below at the hybrid deployment rules in action at Brands Hatch Indy. Colin is currently 7th in the Championship so will have 9 seconds per lap of hybrid in qualifying and 20 laps with hybrid in race 1.
SEASON OPENER RECAP
Click below to find out how the season opener at Donington Park went for Colin.
COLIN’S CLIMATE CHANGE MISSION
Colin is on a mission to reduce his personal carbon footprint. So far this year he has already removed 6.39 tonnes of carbon via his EARTHLY Brazil nut concession project. Each race start will see him contribute 18 trees to the cause and an additional 100 per every race win.
Follow Colin’s Earthly progress by clicking here
7 WEEKS, 12 RACES
May 14/15 – Brands Hatch Indy – rounds 4, 5, 6
May 28/29 – Thruxton – rounds 7, 8, 9
June 11/12 – Oulton Park – rounds 10, 11, 12
June 25/26 – Croft – rounds 13, 14, 15
WIN A BMW MOTORSPORT CAP
For your chance to win a BMW motorsport cap, simply tweet or post a link to Colin’s website homepage tagging @colinturkington and @BMWUKMotorsport. One winner will be chosen at random at the end of every race weekend.
WIN BTCC TICKETS WITH SAP
Are you planning on joining us at Brands Hatch? Would you like to win tickets to come to more BTCC events? Head to the WIN WITH SAP page to find out how you can pick up an SAP sustainable water carton and win tickets to the next BTCC event.
Stay social throughout the Brands Hatch weekend, and keep up to date by joining in the conversation on Colin’s social media channels.Back to news