PODIUM, POINTS AND POTENTIAL
MIXED DAY FOR TURKINGTON AS ANOTHER SENSATIONAL BTCC SEASON GETS UNDERWAY
- Colin Turkington claimed his 163rd BTCC podium yesterday at the 2022 season opener at Donington Park with a 2nd place finish in race 1.
- This was in stark contrast to the painful clutch issue that saw him stranded on the grid at the start of race 2.
- The 4-time champion fought back from nearly 10 seconds behind on lap one, to finish 14th.
- Racing through the pack once more, Turkington replicated this form to secure 8th place in the final race of the day.
- The points and podium finish have positioned him 7th in the championship standings with the pace and potential to score better next time out.
It was a positive weekend for me with regards to pace and potential. Qualifying P2 on Saturday was a strong start and getting on the podium in race 1 was the dream start.
Yes we had a bit of bad luck in race 2 that forced us onto the back foot, but the positives are I had a fast car all weekend and to be able to race back through the pack and collect good points is a very good sign.
We’re in a good place and I’ve enjoyed the experience of using hybrid and the different strategies in the races. We’ve definitely got a strong car this season and the 3 Series has taken a step forward in performance over the winter. It’s been a very busy time for the team with the new system, testing and the extra volume of work that hybrid has created, so it’s an important time now to regroup, apply our learning and make sure we arrive at Brands Hatch in the best possible shape.
Race 1: P2
Race 2: P14
Race 3: P8
Championship position: P7
Hybrid for Brands Hatch qualifying: 9 seconds per lap
The second event of the 2022 BTCC season takes place on Saturday and Sunday the 14th and 15th May at Brands Hatch Indy.
BRANDS HATCH INDY
The new HEM system will come into play during Qualifying at Brands Hatch for the first time this season. At Donington Park ALL drivers had the full 15 seconds of hybrid. The seconds of hybrid power per lap at Brands Hatch will be limited depending on the championship position of the drivers.
- Race 1 will see the number of laps with hybrid limited dictated by championship order.
- Race 2 and 3 will see the number of laps with hybrid limited dictated by results of the previous race.
WATCH THE ACTION BACK!
Click here to watch back all three races as they happened via the ITV hub.
SEE THE SIGHTS AND BEHIND THE SCENES
Click here to see all the sights, scenes and behind the scenes images from the Donington Park weeekend.Back to news