CHAMPIONSHIP LEADER WINS AGAIN
A MASTERCLASS FROM COLIN TURKINGTON AT BRANDS HATCH SECURES HIS 53RD CAREER WIN
- It was a classic Turkington performance at Brands Hatch GP over the weekend, as the Team BMW driver scored an unbeatable 49 points, despite carrying 54kgs or more in every outing.
- Scorching hot temperatures were matched by a smoking hot performance from the 4 time champion, as he converted a P5 qualifying into his 144th career podium in the first race of the day.
- Race 2 was a textbook victory from the champion, with sensational pace, which he followed up with another stunning top 5 result in the final reversed grid race.
- Reliability and punctures were the story of the day at the Kent circuit, as many fell victim to the heat stress on the cars.
- Turkington has now extended his championship lead to 16 points finishing on the podium four times in the opening 6 races.
DEBRIEF Q&A WITH COLIN TURKINGTON
QUITE A PERFORMANCE COLIN, THAT WAS A TYPICAL TURKINGTON WEEKEND.
I think we pulled off a masterstroke this weekend at Brands Hatch GP and looking back that was one of my best weekends. 49 points is a fantastic score especially given we have had a heavy car in every outing. I was keen to stay out of trouble and maximise every opportunity that appeared.
YOU MANAGED THE SUCCESS BALLAST INCREDIBLY WELL, IS THERE A SECRET TO THAT?
There’s certainly no magic but our experience helps with making the right decisions at the right time. It’s always hard to move through the pack with weight and so every position gained is a bonus. I’m delighted for the team because in race 2 the car was as close to perfect as could be. There was a lot of pressure on my heels from Oli Jackson and Dan Cammish, you can’t afford to make a single error out front.
THE SCORCHING WEATHER CAUSED MANY ISSUES THROUGHOUT THE RACES, WAS THIS A CONCERN FOR YOU?
The BMW likes the hot and sticky conditions, so we have to make hay when the sun is shining. The team have done an exceptional job and the results are a fair reflection of their combined efforts and passion. You have to be careful when the conditions are at the extreme, and we did a great job on this front.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN NOW IN THE RUN UP TO OULTON PARK IN TWO WEEKS TIME?
We’ve kept our focus on the 3 Series, working hard and thinking about how to improve, this won’t change. You can’t expect results to just keep on coming, you have to graft for them. We’ll be glad of a weekend off before the next back-to-back events and a chance to catch our breath.
Race 1 – P2 // Started P5 + 60kgs success ballast
Race 2 – P1 // Started P2 + 54kgs success ballast
Race 3 – P5 // Started P12 + 60kgs success ballast
Championship position – 1st = 95 points
WATCH IT BACK!
Watch all the action from Brands Hatch on the ITV hub now!
Oulton Park // Rounds 7, 8 and 9
23rd / 24th August 2020
Click here to view images from the Brands Hatch GP weekend.Back to news