TOP SPOT TURKINGTON
TURKINGTON SMASHES CROFT LAP RECORD WITH STUNNING POLE
- Colin Turkington claimed his 26th BTCC career pole position today in the glorious Yorkshire sunshine at Coft Circuit.
- Making a sensational comeback following his nasty setback, the Team BMW driver was thrilled to reward his team for their incredible efforts since the Oulton Park crash.
- The 30 minute session was disrupted with multiple red flags as drivers struggled with a change in wind and grip levels from the morning practice runs.
- Turkington chipped away at his personal performance all day, admitting he had to work hard to get his mojo back.
- His storming 1m21:468s laptime blitzed the lap record.
- Tomorrow’s races will be LIVE on ITV4 from 11:30am.
HEAR FROM COLIN
“That was an emotional one, and felt so much more special than our pole at Brands Hatch earlier in the season. We have all worked so hard and invested so much into getting back out today, this is a wonderful reward for the team.
The rest of the grid had the winter to convert a 2021 BTCC car into a 2022 hybrid spec machine, my team had 9 days!
Looking back that was a tough session, I think the track moved between our 2nd practice session and qualifying. The grip levels certainly changed, and we had to make quite a few changes after that first run. I didn’t think I could find half a second, but we made the right moves and I left nothing in the tank! We needed something special today and trust me, we worked hard for that!
To be honest, I was slightly anxious after shakedown last night. You never know if the heavy impact is going to slow you down or if you’ll get your mojo back.
Turns out my fastest lap was without the hybrid, so we’re in good shape for tomorrow. I’m pleased with the personal progress I’ve made throughout the day and I’m grateful for all the help I’ve had to get here.”
WATCH ON TV!
Don’t miss a lap of the race action tomorrow, with all races being shown live on TV. Catch all the races LIVE on ITV4.