“IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER FROM HERE” INSISTS TURKINGTON
DIFFICULT DAY AT THE RACES FOR TEAM BMW’S 4 TIME CHAMP
- Four-time BTCC Champion Colin Turkington suffered one of his most difficult days in recent seasons on Sunday 27th June at Brands Hatch.
- Scoring two points in the third race was the only reward from a weekend of grafting after his Team BMW 3 Series uncharacteristically lost its mojo.
- Turkington now sits fourth in the overall standings, 39 points off the leader.
- Despite an unusual set of results, the calm and composed former champion remains optimistic that normality will resume.
BRANDS HATCH DEBRIEF
A BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW COLIN. IT JUST DIDN’T HAPPEN FOR YOU.
It’s not easy to explain where we went wrong this weekend or understand what we could have done better. Normally Brands Indy is a really strong circuit for us, but qualifying with 57kgs made the job tougher and we just couldn’t get the car on point. With the grid being so close that left me down in 14th, but I was hopeful we could turn the tide and string some positive results together throughout the races. Unfortunately it just didn’t shift in our favour and we didn’t have the pace to progress. Days like that are so frustrating for everyone involved because the same amount of passion goes into the project, but you don’t get any rewards. The important thing is to be honest and learn, which for us has certainly been the key takeaway this time.
WHAT IS THE PLAN FROM HERE?
You can bet we will be doing everything in our power to make a comeback, and I’m sure our consistent and fantastic form will be back in force at Oulton Park next time out. Sitting down and ensuring our debrief would put us back on the right path was the main goal last night and we’re well on the road. There’s a two-day test coming up next week and I’m looking forward to getting back in the car and am confident we’ll leave that in a much more positive place. It can only get better from here and it will!
ANY OTHER EXCITING ACTIVITIES HAPPENING BETWEEN NOW AND THE OULTON PARK BTCC WEEKEND NEXT MONTH?
I’m heading straight to the Goodwood Festival of Speed from the test and will spend four days there with BMW UK. The FOS is one of the highlights of the year for me and each time I feel so honoured to be asked to attend. We’ll be taking some of the latest BMW road cars up the hill throughout the festival and getting involved with other PR activities. It’s great news that the event can go ahead!
BRANDS HATCH INDY RESULTS
Qualifying – P14
Race 1 – P20
Race 2 – P17
Race 3 – P14
Championship position – 4th – 77 points
WATCH IT BACK
- Watch all the action back on the ITV HUB.
- Click here
SEE THE SCENES
- Have a look at all the behind the scenes images captured during the weekend at Brands Hatch Indy.
- Click here
OULTON PARK – 31st July / 1st AugustBack to news