HERE WE GO… THE FINAL TWO
TURKINGTON ‘IN THE BOX SEAT’ TO CHALLENGE AS DONINGTON PARK GETS SET FOR PENULTIMATE BTCC WEEKEND
- The penultimate event in the 2021 BTCC calendar takes place this weekend at Donington Park with 3 of the final 6 races set to take place in Derby.
- Team BMW’s Colin Turkington has been enjoying a run of podiums lately, and currently sits 4th in the standings only 4 points off 2nd place.
- Feeling in form and ready to strike, the 4-time Champ will arrive at Donington the lightest of the challengers for the top spot carrying 48kgs success ballast.
- Turkington claimed double podiums at the Derby circuit in 2019 and 2020, and is fired up to continue his string of strong results around the 1.98 mile track.
- The top 10 shootout will feature in Saturday’s qualifying session for the second consecutive event and promises to deliver another thrilling session against the clock.
- Follow all the race day action LIVE from Donington Park on ITV4 from 11:25am – this Sunday.
Q&A WITH COLIN AHEAD OF DONINGTON PARK
WE’RE DOWN TO THE FINAL TWO EVENTS NOW COLIN. YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO ATTACK THIS PART OF THE SEASON.
It’s no secret that the final two events carry a different air to the previous ones. The effort from the whole team that goes into our championship campaigns is monumental. As we get closer to the final, this investment of effort provides such a force of energy. I’ve always felt so honoured to be involved in the title fight the past eight years and have grown to relish these moments of opportunity. It’s an exciting prospect to have a chance at winning and I’ll be drawing on all my years of experience to give it all I’ve got over these next two events.
AND WHAT DOES THAT INVOLVE?
I’m not ready to share any of that yet, but small is always big at this stage. Every little detail can have a big effect on the outcome and so I’ll be ensuring I apply that thorough approach to every layer of my preparation.
SO LET’S TALK SUCCESS BALLAST. YOU WILL QUALIFY WITH 48KGS BUT YOUR MAIN RIVALS WILL ALL BE SLIGHTLY HEAVIER. HOW DOES THIS IMPACT YOUR EXPECTATIONS FOR THE WEEKEND?
At this stage I have to take points away from Ash and a pretty decent amount at that. That’s the aim and it’s completely possible. We had a competitive car at Donington Park last year, and I’m confident we’ll bring a strong package there this time around. It’s important to enjoy this run-in and this is one of my favourite places to race at.
If we get the BMW in the sweet spot for quali anything is possible.
Saturday’s practice sessions will fly by; it doesn’t leave much time to dial the car in, so having a slightly lighter car should speed up that process. Good track position will be vital to get the races off to a successful start and will be helpful in keeping out of trouble. There’s a lot at stake for everyone on the grid but I’m in the box seat to score well this weekend, and will do whatever it takes to put my best foot forward.
RACE WEEEKND SCHEDULE
SATURDAY 9th OCTOBER
Practice 1 – 9:30am
Practice 2 – 12:10pm
Qualifying – 2:35pm
SUNDAY 10th OCTOBER
Race 1 – 11:55am
Race 2 – 2:35pm
Race 3 – 5:20pm
LIVE ON ITV4 from 11:25am
CLICK TO WATCH TIMING
WATCH LIVE ON SUNDAY
Tyre strategies are finished for the season. It’s just the Goodyear MEDIUM compound tyres on offer for Donington Park and Brands Hatch GP.
BEHIND THE SCENES CONTENT
Stay up to date, LIVE from the paddock, by following Colin’s social channels throughout the weekend.Back to news